Millions of bourbon enthusiasts visit Kentucky each year to taste and explore the vast world of bourbon distilleries in Kentucky. Though there are plenty of wonderful places to do just that, one of our favorite recommendations for guests is Makers Mark tours. The Makers Mark Bourbon Distillery is just 20 minutes from our Kentucky Bed and Breakfast, making it a quick and easy place to visit during your stay with us.
The convenient location isn’t the only reason to enjoy Makers Mark tours this winter. Makers Mark is one of the country’s most popular bourbon distilleries, and for good reason. This small-batch distillery has been perfecting its signature Kentucky Spirit since opening in 1954, with its first bottling in 1958. The bourbon is, of course, a fan-favorite across the country, but as you embark on Markers Mark tours, you’ll also learn the important history of this distillery and why it’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
While visiting the Bourbon Capital of the World, there’s no better place to stay than our romantic Kentucky Bed and Breakfast. We’re located in the heart of Kentucky’s Bourbon Capital, within easy driving distance to these Makers Mark Tours, Bardstown, and so much more. Our Kentucky Bed and Breakfast sits in a historic Antebellum-era home nestled on a gorgeous farm right in the heart of the most scenic part of the state. Bourbon lover or not, our romantic Kentucky Bed and Breakfast is the perfect place to unwind. Book your room today.
Makers Mark Tours to Take This Winter
In the Bourbon Capital of the World, you can expect to enjoy quite a bit of bourbon – but one thing you’ll quickly notice is that no two bourbons are the same. That’s one of the many joys of embarking on adventures like Makers Mark tours. You’ll learn all about the individual distilleries, of course, often learning the human side of how these businesses were built. But perhaps more importantly, you’ll be guided through a unique tasting of various spirits, learning about how they are made and what makes one batch different from the next.
On Makers Mark tours, for example, you’ll learn that this signature bourbon is a theater bourbon made without rye. Instead, Makers Mark is produced using red winter wheat, corn, and malted barley in its mash bill. From there, each bottle of Makers Mark is aged famously to taste – and not simply a mark of time.
On average, each bottle of Makers Mark Bourbon is aged for six years. However, each batch of this signature Kentucky Bourbon isn’t bottled until the company’s tasters agree it’s ready. This unique approach to Kentucky Bourbon has resulted in a cult-like following for Makers Mark, whose fans appreciate its dedication to the drink experience and consistency across bottles.
There’s no better way to get to know this incredible distillery than taking one of their fantastic tours. We’ve listed the current offerings of Makers Mark tours below.
- The Makers Mark Tour is their most popular tour. It lasts just over one hour and features the distillery’s history, including tours of their production buildings, concluding with a guided bourbon tasting.
- If you want a better glimpse at the behind-the-scenes production of this small-batch bourbon distillery, one of the best Makers Mark tours for you is the Behind the Bourbon tour. This 2-hour tour is an immersive experience with a detailed and technical tour of the production of this famous spirit, including the warehouse, cellar, cistern, and bottling facility. It ends with a guided tasting, including some rare productions.
- If you want to learn more about what actually goes into each bottle of Makers Mark Bourbon, then take the Star Hill Farm Tour. You’ll visit the estate wheat fields and livestock pastures, be served a delicious bourbon cocktail, and enjoy a guided tasting of Makers Mark’s Private Select and Wood Finishing Series.
- If you’re a fan of Wood Finishing when it comes to your bourbons, don’t miss one of the more unique Makers Mark tours, the Oak Experience. Not only will you get to taste special wood-finished bourbons, but you’ll also get to plant your own American White Oak Tree on the Star Hill Farm.
There are other Makers Mark Tours worth taking, including a fun Sparkling Supper Series during the holidays or their exciting Holiday Stroll, among others. No matter the tour you choose, you can expect delicious bourbon and a fascinating glimpse into one of the most well-known bourbon distilleries in Kentucky.
6 More Bourbon Distilleries in Kentucky to Visit
Around 95% of the world’s bourbon is made in Kentucky, dating back to the days before prohibition. Bourbon distilleries in Kentucky produce upwards of 9 million barrels of bourbon annually! After you’ve enjoyed your favorite Makers Mark Tours, there are plenty more bourbon distilleries in Kentucky to visit – and the best part is they aren’t too far from our romantic Kentucky Bed and Breakfast. Below, we’ve listed a few more of our favorite bourbon distilleries in Kentucky!
- The Heaven Hill Distillery is one of the most well-known bourbon distilleries in Kentucky and is where you’ll find the Bourbon Heritage Center. It’s a fantastic place for new-to-bourbon drinkers to start their journey.
- For a familiar pour of bourbon in your glass, head to the Jim Beam American Stillhouse.
- Woodford Reserve is one of the oldest and smallest bourbon distilleries in Kentucky, but its reputation for excellence is known the world over. , and they have a well-earned reputation for exquisite bourbon.
- If you’re a seasoned bourbon lover looking for somewhere more unique, head to Four Roses Distillery. Though you can now find their bourbon in well-stocked stores, their bourbon was hard to find at one point.
- If you plan to be in downtown Bardstown enjoying the fantastic attractions there, a great distillery to try is the Bardstown Bourbon Company. They have a state-of-the-art distillery and a full-service restaurant and bar.
- There are also plenty of great bourbon distilleries in Lousiville, home to the popular Angel’s Envy Distillery. The bourbons are fantastic, but they also offer a bottle-your-own-bourbon experience, cocktail classes, and more.
Of course, this is just a tiny handful of the incredible bourbon distilleries in Kentucky to visit. We’d love to share even more off-the-beaten-path recommendations with you the next time you visit our Kentucky Bed and Breakfast. But first, it’s time to plan your Makers Mark Tours and lock in your accommodations for the coming year. Book your room at our Kentucky Bed and Breakfast today!